A Healthy Environment
As a health benefits company committed to transforming health care with trusted and caring solutions, Anthem recognizes the link between environmental health and the health of the communities we serve.
To further support health and well-being, we extend our commitment to include continuously improving the environmental sustainability of our operations and business activities. Through energy and climate programs, water conservation, and materials management, we are focused on the impact we have on the world around us.
Anthem has a dedicated Environmental Sustainability Office (ESO) that oversees Anthem's development, implementation and reporting for all aspects of corporate environmental sustainability programs. The ESO has developed a comprehensive sustainability strategy with long-term goals for:
Energy and Climate Programs »
Reduce scope I and II GHG emissions intensity by 30% by 2020 (2013 baseline)
- A 20% reduction in GHG emissions intensity as of Q1 2017
- Energy Star Partner—Over 5 million square feet of certified space (65% of the Anthem real estate portfolio)
- 700,000 square feet of LEED-certified space as of Q1 2017
- Participation by over 35% of Anthem’s 55,000-person workforce in the Work@Home program, avoiding an estimated 90,000 metric tons of GHG annually
- A partnership with the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Engineering on a waste-heat recovery project
Water Conservation »
Reduce office water intensity by 30% by 2020. (2013 baseline)
- A 26% reduction in water intensity as of Q1 2017
- Several award-winning xeriscape projects in Southern California, saving more than 25 million gallons of water annually
- Department of Energy Better Buildings Challenge Partner
Achieve a corporate recycling rate of 65% by 2020 and reduce workplace paper intensity by 30% by 2020 (2013 baseline)
- A 16% reduction in workplace paper intensity as of 2016
- Use of Forest Stewardship Council–certified paper for offices
- A corporate recycling diversion rate of 47% in 2016
- Diversion of more than 50 tons of materials from landfills each year through commercial composting programs
- A Zero Waste program for one of our largest office locations, targeting 2018 for certification
At Anthem, we are implementing programs to promote environmental sustainability.